Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Race Report (Tour de Dung: March 20, 2010)

OK--this time I mean it.  I want to get through a road race without crashing.  As goals go, it is admittedly  low-reaching and defeatist.  With a "clean sheet" in my racing debut year of 2009, my 0-fer-2 in 2010 was an inauspicious start, particularly from my family's point of view.  Despite the tumbles, I finished both races and I was physically ready for another go at a glorious day in Sequim.  Our Cat 4 Race would technically begin in Winter and end in Spring.  That seasonal transformation was one I hoped to experience in regard to my own personal fortunes.

We lined up 5 SCCA/Starbucks racers in the 64 man Cat 4 field.  With outstanding results last week, series glory was possible for Mark M. (1st last week) and Bart (3rd).  My role would be to help them where I could.  I thought perhaps about lifting the pace on the short hills along the course could be the best way.

Our field was sent off at 9:51:25 AM, about 15 minutes earlier that last week in deference to the added Cat 5 Men and Cat 4 Women fields.  That coupled with the loss of an hour of solar heating because of "springing forward" last Sunday made for a slightly chillier start.  But it's hard to complain when I was able to race with bare legs, arm warmers and no booties in the late winter!

On the first lap, our team was all over the front of the pack.  While I didn't drive the train, I was a little concerned that the five of us were all expending effort that early.  It was a good warmup, though, and I sensed that I had good legs today.

Wind was not going to be a huge factor as it was relatively calm.  Perhaps, unlike last Saturday, that's why the field was a little more animated.  Many single rider attacks were launched.  The field generally let them go and allowed the frisky rider to suffer and dangle before faltering back into the fold.  The few multi-rider attempts were covered pretty easily.

My first opportunity to contribute was on the 3rd lap along Woodcock Road.  I carried momentum with me and simply rode off the front.  It wasn't an attack, but I did get a decent gap.  While of absolutely minimal value tactically, it was fun to be able to motor like that.  I settled into a sustainable TT mode in the drops and waited to let the pack come get me.  They eventually did after about a mile.  It was a brisk effort, but I felt like I had more in the tank.  I settled back in the fold.

With one lap to go, the field was still together.  I didn't like the prospect of another bunch sprint (thinking back to the finish line mayhem last Saturday), so I took another flyer off the front with about 8 miles to go.  Again it wasn't followed immediately, and so I augured in while resisting the urge to destroy myself to preserve a gap that would never hold up.  I kept up the intensity to keep the field honest up the short climbs on the backstretch.  This second spurt was a little more painful, but after being swallowed back by the bunch I had enough reserves to keep near the front.

Eventually, though, the procession down Woodcock Road found me slowly slipping backward again.  I was looking for good wheels to follow and move up, but I wasn't making good choices.  Fortuitously, a large gap formed in the middle of the pack prior to the final right turn, and I advanced through it as if the seas had parted for me.  Jeff was on the front now and Bart had worked his way forward too.  We were positioning well within the blob of 50+ riders all eager to take their chances in the dash to the line.

The right turn was clean and we were on the finishing straight.  Jeff's suicidal yeoman work in the last kilometer set up the sprint.  I was with teammates Mark M. and Mark T. on the left.  Just before the 200 meters to go sign, I yielded my position to Mark M. to let him work his magic on the far left.  I had some spring left and revved up my sprint as well.  I cut to the inside of Mark M., where there was a little more room for me to progress.   Mark M. ended up getting boxed unfortunately, but I sprinted well to come in 14th.

It was then that I noticed Bart pumping his fist with his 1st place finish!  The photos show that he absolutely slayed in the sprint!  What a great performance and another well deserved victory!  Smiles all around for SCCA/Starbucks!

Oh, and did I mention that I didn't crash today :-)

Photos:
The ebbs and flows of Tour de Dung #2, as seen by my heart:













The Black & Green train drives the field.  I am 4th amongst the green-sleeved:
http://reedkj.smugmug.com/Cycling/Tour-de-Dung-2-2010/11585617_xR5yq#816319583_KuSbK

There wasn't a photo capturing my purported exploits off the front, but this one will do
http://reedkj.smugmug.com/Cycling/Tour-de-Dung-2-2010/11585617_xR5yq#816319887_VvSKB

Cruising along near the front
http://reedkj.smugmug.com/Cycling/Tour-de-Dung-2-2010/11585617_xR5yq#816319839_6oc23

A brief respite in the back
http://reedkj.smugmug.com/Cycling/Tour-de-Dung-2-2010/11585617_xR5yq#816323013_5gLtB

Another win for SCCA/Starbucks!  Bart shows a clean set of wheels to the pack.  I was the inner most of the three SCCA/Starbucks sprinters on the right side of the photo and slotted home (and upright) in 14th.
http://reedkj.smugmug.com/Cycling/Tour-de-Dung-2-2010/11585617_xR5yq#816330490_TQs9d

Results:
http://gcracingllc.com/Documents/2010-MASON-LAKE-3.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment