Our meteorologists have made trumpeted that we just experienced the warmest January on record. My bikes and I took full advantage. While I bike commute regardless of weather, the weekends are often a different matter in how willing I am to remain out in the cold. This year, with El Nino in full force and with ample motivation from my SCCA/Starbucks teammates, my odometer was busy. I ended up logging 920 miles and 34,000 feet of climbing outdoors and a bonus 57 miles during indoor high octane sessions at Herriott Sports Performance. Those outdoor miles were almost exclusively with bare legs: I succumbed to knickers twice and leg warmers once. The tights remained in the closet all month. Incredible.
As the month was unfolding, cresting 1000 miles seemed feasible. There's something about crossing a round number like that compels a numbers guy like me, especially as I can't imagine the opportunity presenting itself again in future winters. But, it is January, and restraint at this point of the season is wise and the lingering disappointment will disperse in due time.
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment