Yesterday's SCCA/Starbucks team ride took us north from Mercer Island into the playground of hills that I routinely train on: Market Street, Juanita Drive, Holmes Point, Norway Hill, Old Redmond Road. I happen to like them too. My "training plan" clearly dictated a long endurance ride. But, as I said, this was my playground--my "home field". Throw in an unexpected and inviting sunny day (another bare-legger), mixed in with several motivated teammates, and the ride intensity ratcheted up immensely. After all the KOM battles and pack attacks were waged, I registered 74 miles and 4500 feet of climbing during my 4.5 hours on the bike, with 40 minutes spent in Heart Rate Zone 4 and 43 minutes in Zone 5. Ooops. It's still early January, and my "training plan" is wagging its finger at my day's indiscretions. I can hear a muffled "I told you so" from the sheet of paper where the plan resides, scoffing at the fatigue that envelops me now. I hold no regrets though, as it was an invigorating day with an outstanding group of teammates!
After riding home from our climb fest, I discovered that I completed the ride without eating anything and only finishing half of the water in my single bottle. I don't recommend this.
Sunday, January 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment