Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tire Loyalty

Yes, I consider myself a Michelin man.  Not the blimpy, bulbous mascot--I'm just a long-time aficionado of their bike tires.  I've been rolling on variations of the Axial/Krylion Carbon model for several years and raced on Pro2 Race clinchers.  And despite all the glowing praise I can give over the longevity I've experienced for commuting, training and racing over many sets of these tires, I'm sure you can find a equally vehement detractor with a graphic tale of horror.  Bike tires are polarizing, but not in a "Red State" vs. "Blue State" way.  A single inopportune flat, multiplied by a "degree of difficulty" considering the conditions experienced while changing it, can be enough to sway even the most loyal customer.  Of any component on a bicycle, tires are probably the easiest to find the most dissimilar and heated opinions.

So, I arrived at the crossroads after the inevitable demise of my pair of faithful Michelin Pro2 Race set.  It was a great tire, and I would buy them again.  One problem--they've been out of production for some time.  And my perception of the Pro3 Race replacement was at best "uncertain".  There's no consensus to be found on that set, which was a true test of my brand loyalty.  Like any self-respecting gear head, I'd already mulled over the possibility of what to do when I arrived at this junction.  I'd poured through many catalogs and ingested a spectrum reviews from various riders, magazines and on-line sources.  Playing in the realm of possibility is fun, gratifying in that many alternatives exist without plunking down real dollars.  Perhaps there was a tire out there that would play out to be better than what I'd ever experienced.  But now I had to enter reality and put down real cash for a replacement set.  A decision needed to be made and a lottery ticket purchased.  And in the end, I strayed from Michelin.  I returned to a brand I had abandoned in the 90's: Continental.

Mind you, it's not a complete divorce.  I have four road bikes, and the decision only affects one in the stable.  Maybe it's an easier way to usher in change.

I'm a couple of rides in now, but these new Conti's have compelled me to write glowingly.  I chose the Grand Prix 4000 S model.  The ride is ethereal.  Well, that is too strong of a word, but that sensation is there.  The bike floats on them in a subtle way.  Small bumps are smoother, and I feel a little faster going through road imperfections.  But to me this tire shines in a different environment.  I took them on a swooping descent and was so astounded by the grip that I caught myself yelling in delight as I knifed through high speed corners with ease.  It was a good moment to be alone, unafraid to express my giddiness.

The honeymoon is still in session, so it remains to be seen how durable and weather tolerant these Conti's are.  But my grin is still there.

Of the four bikes I have, I find myself with four tire brands: Michelin, Veloflex, Schwalbe, and Continental.  How exactly did this happen???

No comments:

Post a Comment